Unwanted Ten-Ants – Early Season Ant Activity in Your Home
Whilst the common black garden ant (Lasius Niger) is not harmful to humans and pets, they are the epitome of a generally annoying nuisance. Ants gather in large numbers and walk through unsanitary places before attempting to steal your food, rendering any contaminated foodstuffs inedible.
Whilst ants prefer warmer weather and are certainly more active in the UK’s warmer months, sadly, these pests are not simply a seasonal problem; they can invade your home all year round. With many of us working at home and buying a little extra food to reduce shopping trips due to COVID-19, the last thing you need is ruined supplies and pest worries.
Why are there Ants in My Home?
Foraging worker ants usually enter homes in search of food, but can also enter your house for shelter, warmth and to set up a permanent residence. Ants inside your home during the cold winter months, may indicate that you have a colony inside your home.
How can I deter an Ant Infestation?
Ants will not stick around for long if there isn’t a readily available food source:
- Clean all crumbs from kitchen surfaces, floors, and crevices in kitchen appliances, e.g., the toaster crumb tray
- Ants are especially attracted to sweet foods, so keep your sugar and sweet treats in air-tight containers
- Wipe up any liquid spillages, especially sugary drinks
- Wash all pet food dishes after your pets have eaten; do not leave dry food down all day/night
- Repair any cracks around doors and windows to reduce entry points
What should I do if I find Ants in My Home?
- The first point of action is to find where the nest entrances are. You can do this by monitoring the ant activity to see where the ant goes once it has collected food.
- Once you have located the nest, if the nest is outdoors, the BPCA recommend pouring a kettle of boiling water over the nest site.
- Over the counter products can be purchased and used, with varying reports of efficacy.
I have tried these Measures,
but I am still being bothered by Ants in My Home!
Ants are notoriously difficult to remove. Seeing ants in the home in colder months may suggest the ant nest is located in an inner house wall, or another difficult to reach space. Therefore, Avon Pest Control recommend contacting a professional pest control company to deal with your ant problem for you. Such companies have access to effective insecticides that are not available to the general public.
Ant eggs can hatch into larvae after only three weeks. Within five weeks, the larvae are fully grown adult ants, meaning colonies can rapidly increase in size. Each colony can contain up to 15,000 worker ants so act fast!
If these pests are antagonising you, why not call Avon Pest Control today on 01926 632 929 or 01789 293 463, or click here to vist our website for more information, and let our qualified, responsible technicians deal with your pest problem for you. That’s one less thing to worry about!
COVID-19: We are currently operating with Strict PPE Controls on Essential Work for Your Safety.